Call for Policy Papers on Higher Education Interventions for the Better Normal

We are pleased to announce that the UP Center for Integrative and Development Studies is seeking to publish the latest policy and research papers on higher education.

In line with the UP CIDS program goals, they are hoping you can compose a Policy Paper of about 3,000 to 6,000 words on the interventions of the University wants to deliver a better normal for our constituencies during and beyond the COVID-19 pandemic. In the Policy Paper, the proponent can discuss the context and content of, among others, your pandemic-related past memoranda as well as current and future initiatives.

To aid you in crafting your Policy Paper, we have attached a copy of our consolidated resources which includes reports and school/HEIs memos related to COVID-19 response. For this call, the policy paper outline is as follows:
• Situation analysis
• Pandemic response framework
• Administrative, technological, and andragogical interventions
• Monitoring and evaluation mechanisms

Deadline of submission of manuscript is on 31 March 2021. Should you need more information you can email Ms. Marrhon Mangalus at

2022 Innovators in Science Award

We are pleased to announce that the Takeda Pharmaceuticals and the New York Academy of Sciences is opening a call for nominations entitled “The 2022 Innovators in Science Award” that will will recognize scientists from around the globe for their exceptional research in Gastroenterology

The University of the Philippines Manila is is invited to nominate one (1) promising Early-Career Scientist and one (1) outstanding Senior Scientist conducting research in Gastroenterology as candidates for the 2022 Innovators in Science Award.The nomination period begins April 1, 2021 and ends May 27, 2021.

The Awards will be conferred at a formal ceremony and symposium in Tokyo, Japan, on March 28-29, 2022.

You may refer to the Award Guidelines, available at, for details on nominee eligibility, nomination requirements, and evaluation criteria (to download a flyer summarizing this information, please click here). A list of frequently asked questions is also available to assist you during the online nomination process.

Additionally, we will be hosting a free Call for Nominations Webinar on Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 10:30am ET. Webinar participants will learn about Award program eligibility, nomination guidelines, and evaluation criteria to help them assemble a competitive nomination package. Program administrators from the Academy will conclude the webinar with a question and answer period to clarify program requirements. Webinar materials will be available for reference after the webinar at

Timeline for the 2022 Innovators in Science Award in Gastroenterology

March 25, 2021Call for Nominations Webinar
April 1, 2021Nominations open
May 27, 2021Nominations close
Nov-21Innovators in Science Award Winners Announced
March 28-29, 2022Innovators in Science Award Ceremony and Symposium in Tokyo, Japan

For further information you may visit the Takeda website at

Call for Proposals 2021-2022: Philippine Council for Health Research and Development

We are pleased to announce to announce that is DOST-PCHRD is accepting research and development (R&D) proposals for funding in 2021-2022 The call for proposals is for specific R&D priority areas under the Harmonized National R and D Agenda (HNRDA) which hinges on DOST’s S&T thrusts, emerging and re-emerging health concerns that prevail in the country.

This call encourages public and private higher education institutes, research and development institutes and non-profit organizations to conduct applied R&D and forge collaboration by and among organizations involved in health R&D.

For more info you can email them at

Call for Proposals: Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership

We are pleased to announce that the Philippine APEC Study Center Network (PASCN) and Philippine Institute of for Development Studies (PIDS) released a call for research proposals.

The following are the topics that is requested to be focused on are: 1) Agriculture and Fisheries; (2) Tourism; (3) Labor and Employment; (4) Trade in Services; (5) Investments; (6) Education; and (7) MSMEs. Other topics under RCEP are also welcome. 

Deadline of submissions will be on March 15, 2021.

For further details you may download the brief description of the call, Application form and guide for the research proposal template:

Call for Proposal: 2021 CDKL5 Programs of Excellence Pilot Grant Program – LOI

We are pleased to announce that the Orphan Disease Center and Loulou Foundation has released a call for grant that will support research related to CDKL5 Deficiency Disorder (CDD).

Proposal Due Date: Friday, March 26, 2021, not later than 8pm (EST). Full application documents are to be uploaded at

For more details you may download the attached file:

Fund transfer

Q: Who should communicate to the funding agency for the transfer of fund?

A: The research team should continuously follow up the Project Officer of the funding agency of the tranche.

Q: What proof do I need for the transfer of the tranche?

A: For projects funded by government agencies , you need the List of Due and Demandable Accounts Payable – Advice to Debit Account (LDDAP- ADA). For projects funded by international/foreign agencies, you need the Payment Advice. Both can be requested from your funding agencies.

Start up

Q: Do I need to appoint an SDO to start purchasing items directly in the stores (pay in cash) or through government procurement procedures (pay through UPM check)?

A: No. Purchases made in stores can be reimbursed, while those procured through UPM following the procurement procedures will be directly paid by the UPM through their DBP accounts.

Q: When can I start charging expenses? I don’t have my funds yet, but I already have a signed MOA and LIB.

A: Expenses can be charged against the project’s fund at the start date of the project as stated in the MOA. If personal funds are used, this can be reimbursed by submitting the required documents. Follow this link for more details.

Expense Report, Cash Advance

Q: How can I request for the release of cash advance?

A: Follow this link for the steps on how to request for cash advance

Q: Can I reimburse the bond premium?

A: Yes. For your project, it will be charged under Taxes, Insurance Premiums and other fees.

Q: What are the inclusive dates of expenses which I can under cash advance?

A: You can only charge expenses on the approved indicated dates on your Admin. Order.

Q: Can I charge anything on my cash advance?

A: No. You can only charge expenses under the MOOE that are included in your letter request & Cash Flow.

Q: Who are eligible for the SDO position?

A: Only UPM employees with permanent appointment. Follow this link for more details.

Q: Are tenure-track appointment of UPM personnel eligible for the SDO appointment?

A: No, not until they have their permanent appointment.

Q: Do I need to be an SDO in order to reimburse my expenses for the project?

A: No.

Q: Are the Sales Invoices generated by the cash registered machine enough to prove the purchase, though, the required proof are the Official Receipts.

A: Yes.

Q: How much is allowed for representation/meal expenses per head?

A: Please refer to EO No. 77.

Payment of staff

Q: How do I claim my salary?

A: You can go to this link for the details

Q: Can all the details in my COS be typewritten so I can lessen the chance of mistakes/erasures?

A: Everything can be typewritten except for the I hereby part. That portion should be handwritten.

Q: I made a mistake while writing on my COS/AR, can I erase it?

A: No. Based on Memo Order No. CCDP-2017-055, Project Contract Forms and Certificate of Service must be free of erasures and/or corrections. Generally, official forms should be free from erasures.

Q: What if I want to hire an additional staff but the position is not in the LIB or the position is only for 1 person?

A: You have to realign your budget & request for the approval of your funding agency.

Q: What should be the date of the PCF?

A: The date is usually the start date of the implementation of the project.

Q: What position and salary should I write in my in the PCF?

A: It should be the given position and salary in the research project. Note that this position should be the same with the items found in your LIB.

Q: Are electronic signature of staff allowed in COS and Accomplishment Reports?

A: Original signatures are required.

Q: Can I pay for the salary of my staff and ask for its reimbursement?

A: No. Salaries & honoraria of project staff should be paid directly through UPM. Their salaries will be transferred to their DBP accounts.

Research Dissemination Grant

Q: What journals are eligible for the UP System International Publication Award (IPA)?

A: Scopus and (Clarivate) Web of Science-indexed journals are eligible for the award.

Q: Are students qualified for the IPA?

A: Yes, Students are qualified to apply for the award. They just have to attach their latest form 5 in the submission documents.

Q: What journals are eligible for the UP Manila Publication Award?

A: Peer reviewed journals which are not Scopus/Web of Science-indexed journals are qualified for the award

Q: If the article was published in a journal which is included in the Beall’s list of Possible, Probable, Predatory Journals, would the article be disqualified for publication award?

A: No. For journals qualified in the UP System International Publication Award, an IPA Committee will evaluate the article to decide if it is qualified or not.

Q: Who are qualified for the OIL Travel Grant?

A: UP students taking up masters or doctorate are qualified for the grant including faculty who are taking their masters/doctorate in the university