Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs International Publication Award for Journal Articles:
- Regular faculty, including those on sabbatical and secondment to other agencies, REPS in active service, clinical faculty, emeritus professors and students are eligible for the award.
- A UP unit (institute, department, center, etc.) indicated as the affiliate institution of the author(s) shall receive an IPA apart from the IPA for authors.
Scope of Award
All journals indexed in:
- Thomson Reuters Web of Science (formerly ISI) core collection
- Science Citation Index Expanded (SCIE)
- Social Sciences Citation Index (SSCI)
- Arts and Humanities Citation Index (AHCI)
- Conference Proceedings Citation Index
Value of Award
- For journal articles published in WoS-indexed journals and conference proceedings with no Impact Factor or in Scopus-listed journals, the maximum amount of the IPA shall be P55,000 EXCLUDING those listed in the latest version of the Beall’s List of Predatory Journals and Publishers (https://scholarlyoa.com/2016/01/05/bealls-list-of-predatory-publishers-2016/).
- For articles published in WoS-indexed journals with an Impact Factor below 2.0000, the maximum amount of the IPA is P65,000.
- For articles published in WoS-indexed journals with an Impact Factor of 2.0000 to <4.0000, the maximum amount of the IPA is P80,000.
- For articles published in WoS-indexed journals with an Impact Factor of 4.0000 to <6.0000, the maximum amount of the IPA is P100,000.
- For articles published in WoS-indexed journals with an Impact Factor of 6.0000 to <8.0000, the maximum amount of the IPA is P125,000.
- For articles published in WoS-indexed journals with an Impact Factor of 8.0000 and above, the maximum amount of the IPA is P155,000.
- For the UP-affiliated corresponding authors of the publications, a monetary award in addition to their pro-rated share of the IPA will be given as follows: P3,000 for articles in WoS-indexed journals and conference proceedings P4,000 for articles in WoS-indexed journals with an Impact Factor below 2.0000 P5,500 for articles in WoS-indexed journals with an Impact Factor of 2.0000 and above
- In the case of co-authorship, the award shall be divided equally among the number of authors, local and foreign. Only UP-affiliated authors eligible for the award shall receive it, provided the article is published while they are on active service or before their retirement or resignation from the University.
- The IPA per publication for UP units is P15,000. Each UP affiliate unit will receive a pro-rated share of the IPA equal to P15,000 multiplied by the number of authors affiliated with the UP unit divided by the total number of authors.
- The author(s) must clearly be identified as belonging to UP. If the article was produced while on sabbatical abroad or as a result of a joint project with foreign scholars, proper acknowledgement must be given the foreign institution that accommodated the faculty or supported the project; the UP address/affiliation of the author(s) must nonetheless be indicated in the publication as a byline).
- The article must fall within the discipline or related field of the author. For example, a work of poetry shall not be entertained if authored by faculty or REPS outside the field of creative writing, unless there is sufficient proof of prior recognition of the author as a serious practitioner in the field of creative writing as determined by the VPAA, upon consultation with known literary figures.
- The article must be a complete, solid piece of research or creative work. If one’s work (e.g. poem) is included or cited in an article authored by another, the cited portion shall not qualify for the award. In addition, certain articles (e.g. tribute/testimonial to a known figure, book review, letter to the editor, editorial, commentary) shall not qualify. The VPAA shall evaluate all articles as to their eligibility.
- Authors eligible for the award may receive it as often as they publish. However, an article may be awarded only once.
- An article for which an IPA was granted shall not qualify again for an IPA if it appears as a chapter in a book published by a reputable international publisher. However, if an article for which the author was awarded an IPA is subsequently developed by an author into a book that is published by a reputable international publisher, the author may be eligible for an IPA in the book category.
Application Process for IPA (author):
Step 1: Register the original research, from which the paper was based, with RGAO at http://rgao.upm.edu.ph/
Step 2: Fill out the online form at: https://tinyurl.com/
Step 3: An RGAO staff will send to the applicant the pre-filled application form for review and approval
Step 4: Applicant will sign the pre-filled application form and endorse it to the Department Chair for signature.
Step 5: Applicant will forward the signed application form to RGAO
Step 6: RGAO will forward the application form to OVCR for second endorsement
Step 7: RGAO will submit the signed form to OVPAA to the IPA portal and send an email notification to the applicant.
Step 8: RGAO will notify the author once the monetary award is deposited into his/her account.
Public dissemination of UP’s international publications
1. The abstracts of all IPA publications will be posted in the OVPAA website (ovpaa.up.edu.ph).
2. The author(s) is/are required to submit a popular article about the publication. The popular article (laymanized description of the research) will be featured in the OVPAA website and used as part of UP’s accomplishments for public dissemination.
The increased rates mentioned in Items 4.2 to 4.6 are applicable to journal articles published on 1 April 2016 and onwards.
Check will be addressed to faculty involved. The currency of funds to be given will be in Philippine Peso. 100% upon approval.