A Biosafety Officer per college/department reviews protocols involving potentially biohazardous materials and decides to approve in his/her level or to submit the protocol for committee review. Only then will the researcher submits the reviewed protocol in IBBC Forms 1 (accomplished by the proponents/researchers) and 2 (accomplished by the laboratory manager) to the NIH-IMBB Central Lab for issuance of the certificate/clearance. The IBBC clearance/certificate is signed by the over-all chair of the committee once the protocol is approved. For inquiries, you may contact the UPM IBBC Secretariat at 218-2659 or email them at email@example.com.
Here are the types of researches that requires IBBC review: *
- Human or animal blood, body fluids or tissues and other potentially infectious materials
- Any transgenic animal or plants
- Use of rDNA and other Genomic Editing Technologies (CRISPR Cas9)
- Any biological agent in Risk Group 2, 3, or 4
- Toxins (of biological origins)
*Researches with PI’s affiliated in UP Manila and will be conducted in UP Manila.
*Researches with PI’s affiliated in UP Manila and will be conducted outside UP Manila.