Frequently asked question (FAQ)

I. Registration

Q: How do I register my research with RGAO?

A: You may register your research by completing the online form at You will receive an RGAO registration certificate with the RGAO reference number for your research via email after One (1) working day to acknowledge your registration.

Q: Do I still need to register my research with RGAO even if it will not undergo UPMREB/IACUC review?

A: Yes, all researches conducted/ to be conducted in the University and/or by University staff (including faculty, students, REPS, and PGH employees, residents/ fellows) should be registered. These include all research regardless of area or topic, design or methodology, or funding source (e.g. case reports, meta-analysis, systematic review, creative work).

Q: Can I still register ongoing and completed researches?

A: Yes, you may still register ongoing and completed researches. You may register your researches at any point in the research process:Research protocol is ready for review;

  • Research is to be started;
  • Ongoing research;
  • Research is completed and the report is final;
  • Research has been accepted for presentation in a local or international meeting;
  • Research has been accepted for publication/ is published; and
  • Research work results in a patentable product.

II. Administrative Overhead Cost (AOC)

Q: Where was the Administrative Overhead Cost derived?

A: The Administrative Overhead cost is derived from the Total Budget of the study. The Total budget is the sum of the personal services (PS) and maintenance and other operating expenses (MOOE). Personal services include the compensation of the staff and other personnel that may be required for the entire duration of the project. The MOOE are the expenditures of the project (i.e. communication, travel, and supplies and materials). The rate for the Administrative Overhead Cost for non-government sponsored researches is 15% of the total budget, while 7.5 % for government-funded researches.

Q: What does the Administrative Overhead Cost covers?

A: The AOC covers the UPMREB review fee, including the continuing review and IACUC review fee.

Q: Where does the Administrative Overhead Cost proceed?

A: 80% of the administrative overhead cost goes to the Research Unit fund (RUF). The University Administrative Overhead Cost refers to expenses incurred by the University for accounting and bookkeeping, personnel support services, maintenance of facilities, utilities, etc. which are not provided for in the itemized budget of a research project/program. These are indirect costs of a research project/program borne by external funding agencies.

The Administrative Overhead Cost paid by the study sponsor is shared equally between the Research Grants Administration Office and the Research-Generating Unit to which the Principal Investigator belongs to. The share of the AOC of the Research-Generating Unit will henceforth be referred to as Research Unit Fund (RUF).

The RUF can be used for the following purposes:

  1. To help shoulder the utilities and maintenance bills.
  2. To provide assistance to academic programs, such as the acquisition of equipment and supplies and materials in support of such programs.
  3. To help upgrade the library collection of the University.
  4. To grant salaries/honoraria/incentive pay to deserving personnel and/or offices providing service to the research/project/program.

The amount to be allocated as salaries/honoraria/incentive pay to deserving personnel shall in no case exceed fifty percent (50%) of the share of the administration for research/project/program and in no case shall any part or portion of that honoraria be paid to any personnel of the University who is not involved in providing administrative support to the projects as approved by the appropriate University official.

10% of the Administrative overhead cost goes to the site of the study (i.e. PGH) and the remaining 10% goes to the College unit in which the principal investigator is affiliated.

III. Research Dissemination Grant

Q: What journals are eligible for the UP System International Publication Award (IPA)?

A: Scopus and (Clarivate) Web of Science-indexed journals are eligible for the award.

Q: Are students qualified for the IPA?

A: Yes, Students are qualified to apply for the award. They just have to attach their latest form 5 in the submission documents.

Q: What journals are eligible for the UP Manila Publication Award?

A: Peer reviewed journals which are not Scopus/Web of Science-indexed journals are qualified for the award

Q: If the article was published in a journal which is included in the Beall’s list of Possible, Probable, Predatory Journals, would the article be disqualified for publication award?

A: No. For journals qualified in the UP System International Publication Award, an IPA Committee will evaluate the article to decide if it is qualified or not.

Q: Who are qualified for the OIL Travel Grant?

A: UP students taking up masters or doctorate are qualified for the grant including faculty who are taking their masters/doctorate in the university